DEADLINE FOR APPLICANTS: Friday 1st June, 2017
The Bude Tourist information centre (TIC) provides information to visitors about the local area. As a tourist information centre assistant, you will give information to visitors on transport, tourist attractions and local services and activities.
The TIC relies heavily on income from shop and gift sales, and has a large gift shop. Experience of working in a retail environment is advantageous.
A typical working day will include…
- answering customer queries in person, online web chat, by phone and email
- giving information, using computer systems, leaflets, timetables and guidebooks
- making bookings, for example coach travel, events, beach huts and accommodation
- setting up and continuous restocking of displays within the centre, and keeping the place tidy
- keeping up to date with local accommodation, places to visit, activities and events
- re-stocking tourist information literature
- selling goods like guidebooks, postcards and stamps, gifts and souvenirs
- cash handling and till reconciliation
The successful candidate has…
- a pleasant, friendly manner
- excellent customer service skills
- listening and questioning skills, both face to face, online and on the telephone
- the ability to work calmly and efficiently under pressure
- a good general knowledge of the local area and its attractions and facilities
- a smart appearance
- enthusiasm for constantly updating your knowledge and skills
- the ability to share their love of Bude to ensure visitors make the most of their holiday
- the ability to diffuse awkward situations
- IT skills
The TIC is open daily from 10am.
During peak season (summer school holidays), we are looking for additional staff members to cover the 4pm – 7.15pm and 4.45pm-7.00pm shifts. Additional hours will be available to to cover staff holidays etc.
Successful candidates will be required to attend approximately 10 sessions prior to the start date which will incorporate training and familiarisation sessions.
Rate of pay…
The hourly rate of pay exceeds the National Minimum Wage for people under 25, and exceeds the National Living Wage for people over 25.
How to apply…
Send your CV and covering letter along with the following:
- A family with young children are visiting Bude for the week. What would you suggest they see and do to make best use of their time?
- An elderly group has arrived in Bude for the afternoon. What would you suggest they see and do to make best use of their time?
- A young couple are looking for something fun and energetic to do which doesn’t involve traveling very far. What would you suggest they see and do to make best use of their time?
- A family would like to visit some other towns and villages in Cornwall and Devon but do not have their own transport (so will need to use public transport). Where would you suggest they go?
to firstname.lastname@example.org Please use your full name and “TIC Staff” in the subject bar. Initially, you may be invited to an informal chat with the TIC staff, and successful applicants will be invited to an interview.
Bude Area Tourist Board (BATB) is the official organisation responsible for encouraging visitors to Bude. BATB works closely with the public and private sectors to deliver a programme of targeted marketing initiatives aimed at increasing visitor numbers, growing visitor spend and creating jobs. We receive no public funding. All of our income is derived from booking commission, shop sales and membership fees.
Through our Tourist Information Centre, website, guide publications, social media, targeted marketing and extensive PR campaigns, we are able to reach a large audience, spreading the news about Bude and what it has to offer and promoting the Bude area as the No 1 place to visit.