Explore Bodmin Keep on Heritage Open Day
September 14 @ 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
One event on September 21, 2019 at 10:00 am
Join us on Saturday the 14th September and Saturday 21st September for 2 special Heritage Open Day Tours of Bodmin Keep!
Entry will be FREE all day, and visitors will be able to take special informal tours of the museum.
For this day only, you will get a guided tour of the attic and our collections room – and learn about the hidden stories they hold! These special ‘behind-the-scenes’ tours will take place at 11:00, 12:00, 14:00 and 15:00. So come along and join us – there’s no need to book!
Cornwall’s Regimental Museum is housed inside Bodmin Keep, the Grade II listed Victorian Army barracks, and heart of military life in Cornwall for over 150 years. Visitors can explore the site and its original features, including fireplaces, stone staircases and even a military police cell, which is dressed to the Cold-War era.
There’s lots of family fun to be had inside the museum;
- Get Crafty! There’s always something to make in our Craft HQ.
- Dress up! – Mix and match military uniforms and have fun wearing the hats, helmets, jackets and camo’!
- Voices of the Light Infantry Exhibition
- Blow the bugle – Have a go at blowing our bugle… can you do it?
- Music , Military & Morale Exhibition on display within the museum
- …and we’re dog friendly, so the whole family can come too!
The collections cover a date range of 1702 to 2007, spanning the Cornwall Militia and Volunteers, the Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry and the national collection of the Light Infantry. Amazing objects in the museum include one of the largest pieces of the Berlin Wall in Britain, a pair of ostrich eggs dating from the Boer War, and the ‘Washington Bible’.