Canal Bridge

Prior to the present Falcon Bridge, erected in 1962, there had been a swing-bridge which allowed ships to pass from the Lower to the Upper Basins of the Canal.  the first of these swing-bridges was built in 1820, the second was built in 1887 and the last, an all iron structure, was constructed in Newport and erected here in 1906.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email