The Pepper Pot
The Pepper Pot was built in 1835 for Sir thomas Acland by George Wightwick, who modelled it after the ‘Temple of the Winds‘ in Athens. It stands proud on Efford Down.
Originally the storm tower was built as a refuge for the coastguard, it was also an ornamental feature on the Efford Estate and part of Bude’s ambitious development plans.
The octagonal tower, with the points of the compass carved as a frieze, was re-sited c. 1900 due to the eroding cliffs. It was dismantled and rebuilt further inland but unfortunately seven degrees out of alignment!